AUSTIN, TEXAS — Today, the Texas Water Development Board (TWDB) approved a project application from the City of Alton for financial assistance through the Flood Infrastructure Fund (FIF) for the North Stewart Boulevard Drainage Improvement Project. The proposed project will also reduce flood risk, improve roadways and travel conditions, improve water quality, and reduce infiltration and inflow to the wastewater collection system during flood events.
Following the June 2018 storms, the City experienced flooding of roadways and structures that lasted for several days—resulting in several areas receiving between 10 to 15 inches of rainfall. The City qualified for a $2.975 million grant under the FIF equal to 35 percent of the total project cost of $8.5 million. The remaining 65 percent, equal to $5.525 million will be in FIF financing. The project’s foreseen completion is July 15, 2024.
The 2019 Texas Legislature passed Senate Bill 7, which created the FIF program to provide funding for flood mitigation projects. The FIF program provides financial assistance in the form of loans with an interest rate of 0% and grants for flood control, flood mitigation, and drainage projects. As Vice Chair of the Senate Finance Committee and a co-author of Senate Bill 500 during the 86th Legislative Session, Senator Juan “Chuy” Hinojosa was instrumental in securing funding to start the FIF program through a one-time transfer of $793 million from the “Rainy Day” Fund.
Senator Juan “Chuy” Hinojosa issued the following statement:
“The City of Alton has been proactive in addressing flooding problems over the past five years by seeking funding through our state programs. I appreciate the continued efforts of Mayor Salvador Vela and the City Commissioners to improve their flood infrastructure in areas that experienced severe flooding following the June 2018 storms. I commend the City of Alton for taking advantage of this great opportunity available under the Flood Infrastructure Fund program. The City and its citizens will greatly benefit due to these investments.”